Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hello, Inner Sunset


My good friend, Daniel Durrett from Michigan daze, has just released a new album and I have to tell y'all that it's pretty damned wonderful. I've listened to it 20+ times in the last couple weeks and I am still wanting to listen again.

The album deals with themes of corporate America, chasing your dreams and is a cautionary tale about not letting the bastards of the world stick it to ya. It runs from sinister to hopeful. It's a road-trip you'll want to take again and again.

Daniel, who had a cushy (and unfulfilled) life developing microphones for Shure, left the corporate world stifling his dreams to pursue his soul love; music. He moved from Chicago to San Francisco with his yogariffic gf, Kari and their beautiful, sweet dog, Nala. Having quit my job 15 months ago to focus on art, I can really respect and "feel what he's puttin' down".

The whole album, although it is very rock-folk based, drifts into icy, ethereal, and dreamlike electronic textures that make pinpointing an exact genre quite a feat. Maybe somewhere in between Radiohead, Sigur Ros and Beck could one find a centerpiece for Hello, Inner Sunset.

If you just want to listen to it, you can listen to a full stream here: http://music.danieldurrett.com/

A great guy. A great album. Show my man some love!

Love ya, Dan (and Kari & Nala)!

No comments: